Javascript is required to view the menus.

Locos Intro    

Broad Gauge   
Locos Today   

Broad Gauge   
Locomotives List   

'Tiny'

This compact 0-4-0 with a vertical boiler was built for the South Devon Railway in 1868, by Sara and Co. of Penryn, Cornwall.  It was delivered to the Sutton Docks branch in 1868, where 'Tiny' initially replaced a horse for wagon shunting duties.

'Tiny' was not fitted with brakes, draw chain or buffers, as the wagons were required to have buffers and chains;  and if a wagon lacked brakes, 'Tiny' could always be put be put into reverse to stop.

By 1883 the Sutton Docks had more work than 'Tiny' could handle, and 'Tiny' was transferred to Newton Abbot sheds, where it became part of the hydrostatic test stand, remaining in that capacity until 1927.

Being in useful employ during 1906 probably saved Tiny from the scapper; as in that year 'North Star' and 'Lord of the Isles' were scrapped because "they were taking up valuable space."

1927 was the centenary of the Rainhill trials and there was a wild surge in interest in old locomotives.  Following the rebuilding of 'North Star' in Swindon, Tiny was taken out of the shop, refurbished and placed on display on the platform of Newton Abbot station, as the last intact original broad gauge engine.

Tiny remained on display there until the mid 1980s, when it was moved and refurbished, and may now be seen on static display at the Museum at Buckfastleigh station.  Fittingly, 'Tiny' is back at the 'South Devon Railway', a preservation Society that runs steam trains.

Some Dimensions

  • Gauge: 7 ft ¼ in
  • Tractive Effort: 1300 lbs.
  • Cylinders: 9 x 12 ins. driving a spur gear to an axle.
  • Boiler Pressure: 50 psi
  • Grate Area: 6 ft² estimated
  • Heating Area: 22 ft² estimated
  • Drive Wheel Diameter: 3 ft
  • Brakes: None. Reverse in motion or sprag (stick in the spokes) to park.
  • Fuel: Coal.
  • History: Built January 1868. Stationary engine at Newton Abbot Shop 1883-1927.  Placed on display 1927 at Newton Abbot.